Friday, February 1, 2008

I Heart my Boston Qualifier


Ok, so that might be an extreme title for how I feel about my OB doctor, but I do really like him! I had my monthly visit today and it went great.

First, I weighed in. I knew the weight was going to be high because I have already gained nine or ten pounds so I took off my shoes. Every ounce counts. As always, the doctor's scale is higher than the scale at home, but that's ok.

Secondly, the nurse, Tiffany, got out the dobbler and proceeded to search for the heartbeats. She started with Baby B. She couldn't seem to find it easily and had to step out of the room to assist Dr. Anding. After she came back, she searched for Baby A instead. She found the heartbeat right away. Nice and strong at 152. Then she searched for Baby B again. She finally got the baby's heartbeat and he/she is a mover and shaker. Baby B must have kicked five times in the short time Tiffany was getting the heartbeat. Another good one, 149. Phew!

Dr. Anding comes in shortly after, and the first matter of business is not baby talk, but marathon talk. Of course it is! Since I have been seeing Dr. Anding (about eight years is my guess) he has run the Houston Marathon all but a couple of years. And every year he says it will be a last one. It never is. Marathon runners and Ironman athletes are glutten for punishment. The starting line continues to call year after year. We talk about his race and he said that he went out too fast, but at mile 22 he knew he should be able to qualify for Boston. He did. He said he will not run it however, he just likes the acheivement. Sick. He's 55 and can maintain a 8:34 minute mile for 26.2 miles. I do not know if I could do one mile in that amount of time. Incredible.

Moving on. He measures my pregnancy at 16 weeks which I take to be a good sign since I am 13 weeks and twins should always measure ahead of a singleton pregnancy. I ask my list of three questions and he jokingly says I need to come up with some harder questions! I asked him if I had to see a perinatologist (high risk doctor) and he almost seemed offended. According to my Dr. Luke's book, (apparently the bible for multiple pregnancies) it is a good idea to see both doctors. Anding procedes to explain to me that since he started doing IVF procedures a decade ago, he has become quite familiar with multiple gestations and deliveries. He said the average OB/GYN deliveres one set of multipes a year and right now he is currently seeing seven of us. I joke and say, "I'm not special?!" He says, "Every pregnancy is special." I ask about weight gain and I am told two pounds per week. Oh good heavens. I will clear 200 pounds this pregnancy for sure. That will be interesting! He says I can now add water sports and stationary cycling to my activities. Whoo hoo, I have graduated again!

More rambling about nothing and I move on to schedule my big ultrasound. That has been scheduled for February 28th. I then give my seven vials of blood and go on my way.

No comments: